2021 Park Improvement Projects
Hubbard Park Canoe & Kayak Launch
Late fall construction is planned for the much-anticipated canoe and kayak launch. Check out the project web page for more information.
A plan is being develop to improve landscape plantings and design at Triangle Park, located at the intersection of E. Olive Street, E. Kenmore Street and N. Woodburn Avenue.
Past Park Improvement Projects
2019 Atwater Stair Replacement
The area beneath the stairs was damaged in the 2010 flooding. The project included repair of the underlying area, replacement of the pressure treated lumber stair treads with ipe wood and replacement of the handrail system.
2018-19 Wilson Drive/Estabrook Trail Connections
In conjunction with the reconstruction of Wilson Drive, a paved trail connections was installed from the East Olive Street intersection west to the Oak Leaf Trail. An additional connection was installed by the Milwaukee County Parks Department at the intersection of East Kensington Boulevard.
2018 Milwaukee River Riparian Trail
The Village of Shorewood has received a Stewardship Grant grant from the Department of Natural Resources to rehabilitate and construct a riparian trail along the banks of the Milwaukee River from Hubbard Park to East Capitol DrivEast Work is underway and is anticipated to be completed in fall 2018. The project scope includes:
- Re-alignment, stabilization and restoration of approximately 2,760 feet of trail. Several redundant trails will be decommissioned and restored as a part of this project
- Construction of a limestone staircase from the Oak Leaf Trail to the river terrace lawn area at the south end of Hubbard Park.
- Bank stabilization and construction of a boardwalk near a wetland and Civilian Conservation Corps-ear box culvert at the mid-point of the trail.
- Bluff vegetation management (invasive species removal, plant restoration) and slope stabilization.
- Several river access points where fishermen can wade into the river without damaging the riverbank.
- Grading for a future canoe and kayak launch in Hubbard Park to the north end of the river terrace lawn area.