- Boards & Committees
- Human Relations Commission
- Social Justice Repository
Social Justice Repository
As part of its mission, the Human Relations Commission is providing these resources to community members that have concerns related to social justice topics in the Village of Shorewood. The links below are to articles, book recommendations, videos and topics covered in the YWCA's Unlearning Racism course. Be sure to check back for continuous updates to this page.
Links to Social Justice Articles
- New York Times - New York's Private Schools Tackle White Privilege. It Has Not Been Easy.
- A personal reflection and set of experiences on the Snowball Effect of Systemic Racism, by Lauren Thomas.
- A historical examination on the roots and nature of the Disease of Racism, by He Zhao.
- An archive of Reggie Jackson's work at the Milwaukee Independent.
- Buying a home, selling a home and the commonality of getting a fair housing loan as a person of color.
- UWM Professor Marc Levine's 2020 report on Race in Milwaukee.
- Website: WhiteSupremacyCulture.info.
- Website: EmbraceRace.org.
- Three interrelated pieces on the ACLU's research on and criticism of Milwaukee Police and their policing behaviors, techniques and practices:
- ACLU Report Findings - outline of racial bias in Milwaukee Police stops of civilians.
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - ACLU suing the Milwaukee Police Department for racial profiling and stop-and-frisk.
- The Milwaukee Independent - the ACLU's critiques of the Milwaukee Police Department.
- Evicted by Matthew Desmond
- The Color of Law by Richard Rothstein
- The Sum of Us by Heather McGhee
- White Rage by Carol Anderson
Social Justice Video Links
- Slavery to Mass Incarceration, Equal Justice Initiative
- Don't Call People Out, Call Them In, Loretta J. Ross | TEDTalk
- How Redlining Shaped Black America As We Know It, The Root | Unpack That
- The Disturbing History of the Suburbs, Adam Ruins Everything
- Deconstructing White Privilege, Dr. Robin DiAngelo
- Shorewood Speaks 2022: Changes in Wisconsin Election Laws
- 10 Insidious Ways White Supremacy Shows Up In Our Everyday Lives, by Kali Holloway
- 28 Common Racist Attitudes and Behaviors, by Debra Leigh
- Norfolk Is Offering Free Plans to Incentivize Missing Middle Development, by Cinnamon Janzer
- The Complexity of Identity: Who Am I?, by Beverly Daniel Tatum
- Continuum on Becoming an Anti-Racist, Multicultural Institution, Bread for the Journey
- Internalized White Supremacy - Impact in our Community, Dismantling Racism Project
- I, Racist, by John Metta
- Milwaukee as the Most Segregated Metro Area? It's just not that Simple, by John Gurda
- Ladder of Empowerment, Dismantling Racism Project
- Milwaukee Housing Marches 50 Years Later, by Kantara Souffrant
- Multiple Levels of Racism, Aspen Institute Roundtable on Community Change
- What if Instead of Calling People Out, We Called Them In?, Jessica Bennett - New York Times
- This Is How Everyday Sexism Could Stop You From Getting that Promotion, by Jessica Nordell - New York Times
- Our Fellow Americans - The Complex Truth of Native American History, by Mark Leviton
- Raising Race Conscious Children, RaceConscious.Org
- Spheres of Influence
- Recognizing Microaggressions and the Messages They Send, Microaggressions in Everyday Life
- White Supremacy Culture and Dismantling Racism, by Kenneth Jones and Tema Okun
- Unlearning Racism: Tools for Action, YWCA Southeast Wisconsin
- Privilege Activity Worksheet, YWCA Southeast Wisconsin
- Unlearning Racism: Cycle of Oppression/Socialization, YWCA Southeast Wisconsin
- Unlearning Racism: Vocabulary and Definitions, YWCA Southeast Wisconsin
- What is Affordable Housing?, Community Development Alliance