Commercial Zoning Update
Public Review Draft
On Tuesday, October 25th, the Plan Commission was presented an overview of the public review draft. A recording of the meeting is available through this link. The draft and its associated map can be found below:
Stakeholders may submit questions or comments on the draft via email.
Public Open House
The Village of Shorewood hosted an open house to discuss the public review draft on Wednesday, November 16 from 4:00 pm - 7:00 pm at Village Hall. Notification of the open house was shared directly with identified project stakeholders and all property owners within the commercial districts. The project team was available to discuss highlights of the proposed update, answer any questions and take feedback on the draft.
Plan Commission Recommendation
The Plan Commission is scheduled to meet on Tuesday, December 6 at 6:30 pm to discuss their thoughts on the public review draft and review feedback received from the public open house. This initial discussion will identify possible edits to the public review draft in preparation for a recommendation of approval to the Village Board in early 2023.
Identified as one of the primary actions within the Strategic Directions of the Shorewood Comprehensive Plan 2040, the Village will commence discussions on a Commercial Zoning Update inclusive of hybrid form-based code elements in 2022. Unlike strictly conventional zoning, which emphasizes the separation of land uses, form-based zoning regulations emphasize the physical character of development and consider the relationships between buildings and the street, pedestrians and vehicles, and public spaces and private spaces. Hybrid codes also address land uses, but also focus on how development relates to the context of the surrounding area.
The Village has hired CodaMetrics and Duncan Associates to lead this effort, under the guidance of the Planning & Development Department and the Plan Commission. Opportunities for public involvement, draft documents and further information regarding this project will be posted to this website.
Image Preference Survey Results
The Commercial Zoning Update's second public workshop was convened on May 4th at which participants completed an image preference survey. Participants were asked to score images of Storefront Buildings, General Buildings, Streetscapes and Façade Renovations on a scale ranging from negative to positive. The results of that survey were tabulated in order to rank the images from most favorable to least. Summaries of each section, including any individual remarks that were shared in table discussions of the images, are documented below.
For those who were unable to attend, comments on these summaries, either confirming, disagreeing or expanding upon the ranking of the selections, or general thoughts on any of the images may be sent to Bart Griepentrog. If providing remarks on particular images, please be sure to include the image numbers within your submission.
- Kick Off Meeting - January 12, 2022
- Project Update - January 19, 2022
- Working Group Meeting Presentation - February 28, 2022
- Task 1 Discovery Memo - March 16, 2022
- Public Workshop #1 - March 31, 2022
- "What Have We Heard?" - April 17, 2022
- Image Preference Survey Results (combined) - May 10, 2022
- Directions Memo - Mapping - June 23, 2022 (Revised)
- Public Open House Discussion Boards
- Barbara Kiely Miller, Plan Commission
- Josh Pollack, Plan Commission
- Scott Kraehnke, Design Review Board
- Lybra Loest, Design Review Board
- Jon Krouse, Community Development Authority
- Tr. Kathy Stokebrand, Community Development Authority
- Jake Bresette, BID Board
- Tr. Arthur Ircink, BID Board
- Chuck Hagner, Conservation Committee
- Maggie Pipek, Conservation Committee
- Matt Weiss, Human Relations Commission
- Gary Brunk, Parks and Public Spaces Committee
- Kate Flynn Post, At-Large Community Member
Notes from all meetings of the Working Group may be found in the Agenda Center.
To sign up to receive notifications regarding the Commercial Zoning Update, sign up for the project's Notify Me messages.
Questions related to this project may be directed to Bart Griepentrog, AICP, Planning & Development Director.