The Village of Shorewood has completed the Open Enrollment period for 2020 medical, dental, vision and flex spending benefits. Questions about benefits should be directed to Assistant Village Manager Tyler Burkart.
Due to EPSLA/EFMLEA expiring on December 31, 2020, any COVID related absences may fall under the Village's FMLA Policy. FMLA request forms can be found below. Employees should still follow the COVID policy and procedures below.
For information on COVID-19 testing sites, see the links below:
- Click here for the City of Milwaukee health department COVID-19 testing website.
- Click here for UW-Milwaukee's Rapid Testing website.
- Click here for the North Shore Health department's COVID-19 testing website.
- Click here for information on Health Connection's testing site in Glendale.
Fringe Benefits Information
The Village of Shorewood provides a number of fringe benefits to employees. Employees can access this information by contacting Assistant Village Manager Tyler Burkart. Employees can view and access the following websites to learn more about the benefits accessible to them and contact information for each provider. Staff can also view an enrollment guide by clicking here.
- Medical Insurance- WCA Group Health Trust (Administered by UMR)
- Dental Insurance - Delta Dental
- Vision Insurance - Superior Vision
- Flex Spending Accounts - Diversified Benefit Services, Inc.
- Wisconsin Retirement System (WRS) - Wisconsin Department of Employee Trust Funds (ETF)
- Life Insurance - Minnesota Life Insurance Company
- Long-Term Disability Insurance - The Standard Insurance Company
- Deferred Compensation - North Shore Bank
- Deferred Compensation - ICMA-RC
- Employee Assistance Program- ComPsych GuidanceResources
Village Holiday Schedule
The Village of Shorewood recognizes the days below for General Class, Public Works and Management Personnel.
- New Year’s Day
- President’s Day (taken on Day after Thanksgiving)
- Spring Holiday
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Day After Thanksgiving Day (using President’s Day)
- Christmas Eve
- Christmas Day
- New Year’s Eve
Click here for this year’s memo regarding the 2021 Holiday Schedule.
Human Resources Manual
The Human Resources Manual outlines significant policies and procedures that apply to the entire Village workforce. When an employee begins their employment with the Village, they must sign an agreement stating they read and agree to the terms in the manual. The Human Resources Manual was last adopted in December 2020. Click here to view the 2021 version.
FMLA Request Form
The Federal Medical Leave Act (FMLA) provides employees protected leave when it comes to certain medical circumstances. Employees are able to use FMLA leave if they have been employed with the Village of Shorewood for at least 12 months and worked at least 1,250 hours in the last 12 month period. FMLA allows an employee to take protected leave due to a serious health condition, expanding your family or military family leave. The State of Wisconsin has their own set of rules when it comes to protected leave. While FMLA leave is unpaid, an employee has the option of using their accrual bank to be paid while on leave.
If an employee is interested in applying for FMLA leave, they should contact their Department Director. The Village Manager’s Office has FMLA Leave Request Forms that each employee must fill out in order to be eligible for protected leave. The Village of Shorewood will notify the employee within 5 business days whether their request for leave is granted or not with an explanation. Any questions about FMLA leave can be directed to Assistant Village Manager Tyler Burkart.
New Hire Forms (I9, W4, State Tax Withholding, etc.)
When a new employee begins their employment with the Village of Shorewood, there are multiple forms they need to complete for tax and payroll purposes. All those forms are included below.
- Form I-9 (PDF) (USCIS)
- Form W-4 (PDF) (IRS)
- State Tax Withholding Form (PDF) (State of Wisconsin)
- Employee Contact Card (PDF)
- Direct Deposit Form (PDF)
New Hire Orientation Information
When a new employee begins their employment with the Village of Shorewood, there are a number of activities that the Village performs to help orientate new employees to their new work environment. Each departmental supervisor is required to complete the following tasks:
1. One on one meeting with Assistant Village Manager Tyler Burkart to review benefits and important Village information
2. Meet and Greet Department Heads, Co-Workers and other Village staff
3. Participate in a tour of the Village’s Public buildings - Village Hall, Library/Senior Center, Public Works and Police/Fire Department
4. Customer service training with Customer Services Director Diane DeWindt-Hall
5. Shadow any necessary staff
Optional (at least 3 of 6):
1. Take a driving tour around the Village with a supervisor
2. Introduction lunch with the department
3. Meet with supervisor at the end of the week to reflect on first week
4. Any necessary safety training
5. Attend a Village Board meeting and/or join an employee committee
6. Sign up for the Manager’s Memo
All department heads must complete the New Employee Orientation Checklist (PDF) for a new employee.
View the Village’s 2020 Payroll Calendar here.
Performance Evaluation Forms
All employees will have an annual performance evaluation form every six months. Employees are asked to complete a self-evaluation before receiving their annual evaluation. Self-evaluation forms are simply completed by filling out a performance evaluation form. Questions about performance evaluation forms should be directed to your immediate supervisor. View the Performance Evaluation Form here, the Recognition Pay Form here and Employee Self Evaluation Form here.
Public Transportation Information
Visit the Milwaukee County Transit System’s website.
Shorewood Information Packet
Read the 2020 Village of Shorewood’s Information Packet (PDF).
Annual Federal Notifications
Annually, the Village's health insurance provider publishes notices in accordance with federal regulatory guidelines. While all plan subscribers will receive a paper copy via first class mail, you can also access the 2020 notices from the Group Health Trust electronically here.
Below is an overview of the information contained in the notice:
- CHIP/CHIPRA – two required notices. Notice that outlines when eligible employees or dependents that are eligible but not enrolled, will be permitted to enroll if they lose eligibility for Medicaid or CHIP coverage or become eligible for a premium assistance subsidy under Medicaid or CHIP. Second notice outlines the contact information where employees may inquire about CHIP.
- General Notice of COBRA Continuation Coverage Rights - Notice to covered employees, covered spouses, and covered dependents of the right to purchase temporary extension of group health coverage when coverage is lost due to a qualifying event.
- FMLA - Notice explaining the Family and Medical Leave Act.
- Health Insurance Marketplace Coverage Options - Notice explaining the availability of insurance coverage through the Health Insurance Marketplace (Exchange).
- HIPAA Privacy Notice - Notice of Privacy Practices and an explanation of your privacy rights.
- HIPAA Portability Rights and Special Enrollment Rights - The Notice of Special Enrollment Rights outlines your right to join the plan at a future date if you should lose coverage due to a qualifying event.
- Medicare Part D Notice (Individual Creditable Coverage Disclosure Notice Language)–by October15th each year. Provided to active and retired employees and to Medicare Part D eligible individuals. This creditable coverage notice alerts you as to whether or not your prescription drug coverage is comparable to the Medicare Part D coverage.
- Newborns’ and Mothers’ Health Protection Act - Notice regarding hospital stays in conjunction with maternity.
- USERRA - Notice of rights, benefits and obligations of persons entitled to USERRA.
- Women’s Health and Cancer Rights Act - Notice of the availability of benefits for the required coverage and information on how to obtain a detailed description.